Sunday, September 12, 2010

Carrot-Ginger Soup

I have been feeling run-down and generally icky the last couple of days, and despite the very hot weekend we've had, I just needed some soup.  Luckily, soup is one of those things that can be very simple to make, so even when I am sick, I can whip some up.

Carrot and ginger are natural together in soup, and also can be made with ingredients that are staples, at least at my house.  I keep a big knob of ginger in the freezer at all times, because it is something that I don't use all the time, but when I want it, I want it.  It keeps great in the freezer and can be grated frozen, so I just grate what I want and stick it back in the freezer.  Other than carrots and ginger, I use onions (white, green, combo, whatever) and veggie stock or water and bouillion.  Then it's really just a bunch of seasonings.  For carrot soup, I like cardamom, garlic, fennel, clove, and maybe a little chile pepper or curry powder. 

I cook my carrot soup much like my mushroom soup, except the carrots don't get cooked in butter for a long time; just simmered in the veggie broth until soft.  Then everything gets blended up until creamy smooth.  At the end I sometimes need to adjust the thickness by adding more water, and of course season to taste.  I like to serve it with a little yogurt on top and some chopped green onions or chives for garnish. 

Carrot soup can be served chilled or hot.  Because I was feeling sick, I had a bowl of it hot, but Dan had been working outside in the sun, so he got a chilled bowl.  Tasty and refreshing, with just the faintest kick from the fresh ginger.  Very nomnomnom.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment