Happy Easter!
Why is it that holidays become what they become? It is interesting to me how the traditions of, for instance, stocking-stuffing at Christmas, or boxes of candy at Valentine's Day, or fireworks on the Fourth of July, get started. Over the decades, somehow, brunch has become an Easter tradition. It might not make a lot of sense, but there it is.
I love the idea of brunch. Anyone who knows me knows I don't do mornings. My husband and I are on a third-shift schedule, and that's the schedule I was on for years, long before I met him, too. My morning is 2pm, and if I'm up at 6am, it's because I'm still up from the night before. I don't do breakfast! So brunch is perfect for me - breakfast that lasts well into the afternoon. Not to mention, a gathering of all kinds of types of foods, which can be chosen to exactly my liking - which is perfect for me as a vegetarian who doesn't eat huge portions. I can pick and choose the exact foods I like and the exact amounts. I can have a variety of foods without feeling guilty that I won't eat 90% of it. It's the same reason I like tapas restaurants.
Easter Brunch in particular holds a place in my heart because of happy memories of family. My family on my mother's side had a tradition when I was young to gather on Easter Sunday at one of the holiday brunches being held in the Chicagoland suburbs (that's where we're originally from). The whole family - and as one of seven kids, my mom's extended family was large - plus in-laws and friends - would all get together for brunch somewhere. We were always a huge group and took over many tables at once. I loved it. Good times.
Dan and I have been invited to have Easter brunch with his family this morning. It won't be the love-fest our old family Easter Brunches used to be (anybody who knows my in-law situation understands this), but I'm hoping it will be a nice time. At the very least, I am hoping the food will be enjoyable. Did anybody else enjoy Easter Brunch? Any food adventures for Easter? Tell me all about it.
Happy eating!
No comments:
Post a Comment