I discovered something new the other day and gave it a try. It worked great, so I just have to share.
We all have had those pre-made biscuits in the can. You know, the ones where you peel the paper until the can POPS open. Well, I saw somebody on tv the other day use them to make flatbread. I figured I'd try it out.
On the show, they rolled out the biscuits with a mixture of flour and cornmeal, but I was going for something a little different than them, so I used a combo of flour and sesame seeds. I tried it with just flour, though, too, and that worked just as well. You just press them down a little and roll them out the way you would a pie dough. I used two biscuits pressed together to make the size flatbread I wanted, which turned out to be about a 6-inch circle by using two biscuits. If you roll the dough out paper thin, you get a crispier, thin flatbread. If you don't roll the dough out to within an inch of its life, maybe a quarter inch, it will instead puff up just a little, and be a little softer.
After rolling out the biscuit dough, you just cook them in a nonstick pan with a tiny amount of oil, or a couple sprays of cooking spray. You have to add more oil or spray when you flip the flatbread.
Once the flatbread is cooked, you can do all kinds of things with it. I caramelized some slivered onions with some butter, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and a little sugar to push the caramelization. Then I spread those on the flatbread and topped them with thin slices of fresh mozzarella, and a little basil. I baked them in the oven for about 10 minutes, and YUM, it was great! I am sure I could do all sorts of other things with it, too. I have all kinds of ideas.
The next time you have one of those silly little cans of biscuit dough, give this a try, you won't be sorry.
Happy Holiday eating!
No comments:
Post a Comment